CITY COUNCILLOR (West Ward)
Member of the Waikato District Health Board
Mobile: 021 241 8434
Martin has wide experience in business, education and local and central government. He was elected to the Hamilton City Council and the Waikato District Health Board in 2011. He previously served on Council from 1985 to 1994, during which time he was Deputy Mayor. He served for 12 years as a Member of Parliament representing Hamilton West, including as former Chair of the Foreign Affairs Defence and Trade, and Chair of the Law and Order Committee, and has also been Deputy Chair of the Local Government and Environment Select Committee. Martin also serves as a Justice of the Peace and has a number of community roles, including serving as a Trustee on the board of community radio station Free FM. He is also the national Vice President of Parent to Parent, an organisation that advocates and provides for families with disabilities.
Martin has lived in Hamilton all his life and is married with four children. The Waikato has been his family home for the past century. He stood for Council because he is committed to Hamilton and believes the city is a great place to live, work and raise a family.
As a new member of the Waikato District Health Board, Martin has always been a strong advocate for maintaining health services for both urban and rural communities. He was also one of a number of activists who successfully lobbied for the neurosurgery unit at Waikato Hospital, as well as the expansion and upgrade of both the Waikato and Thames hospitals. Martin is also passionate about the right of people in the region to be able to access good health care when they need it.
Current Elected Roles:
Hamilton City Council
- Deputy Mayor
- Chair Hamilton River Plan Taskforce
- Top polling candidate in the West Ward 2010, 2013, 2016
Waikato District Health Board
- Top polling candidate 2010, 2013, 2016
- Elected to Hamilton City Council 2010
- Chairperson of Community Development Committee – now restructured
- Chairperson of the newly formed Operations and Activity Review Committee
- Elected as a member of the Waikato Health Board 2010
- Formerly longest serving Hamilton West MP (12 Years)
- Chairperson of Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Select Committee
- Chairperson of Law and Order Select Committee
- Deputy Chairperson of Local Government and Environment
- Hamilton Deputy Mayor 1988-1993
- Elected onto Hamilton City Council in 1985 quickly taking on a leadership role as an outspoken advocate for residents, building a reputation for respect and being able to communicate with people on all levels. A strong advocate for community.
- Former small business director
- Member of Community Broadcaster’s Trust (89FM)
- Former teacher
- Previously served on
- Trustbank Community Trust
- Hamilton Girls High School Board of Governors
- Waikato Regional Land Transport Committee
- Born and educated in Hamilton, attending Whitiora Primary School, Maeroa Intermediate School and Boys High School and Waikato University